Sun, 20 Aug|
Beginners Nature Inspired Embroidery Workshop
Learn how to honour Nature's beauty through embroidering live plants. I'll teach you basic embroidery stitches and skills to get you started with your practice. As well as simple methods of creating your own nature inspired deign that you can stitch on your own clothing or wall art.
Time & Location
20 Aug, 10:00 am – 27 Aug, 4:00 pm
Mudgeeraba, 6 Miners Ct, Mudgeeraba QLD 4213, Australia
About the event
Flowers and plants have the power to transform the energy of a space. We always feel immensely better when we receive a bunch of flowers or when we go for walks in nature. Embroidering wall hangings or clothing with plants has the same affect in transforming your energy to a much brighter one.
The experience of embroidering plants connects us with their beauty as we learn to emulate their colours and shapes with thread.
The therapeutic qualities of playing with texture and colour combined with the rhythmic motions of stitching transports us to a state of relaxation and mindfulness. Anyone can learn to stitch and anyone can create their own embroidery designs.
Embroidery has been a part of the human existence for thousands of years. We desire to make our mark on this world and express ourselves. Embroidery gives us the opportunity to mark our story through cloth, preserve emotions, embellish clothing and express our souls. Not to mention how the mindful practice of stitching can help us relieve stress and anxiety whilst creating something beautiful.
In this workshop I will teach you basic embroidery skills so you can feel confident in continuing your practice after the workshop.
I will provide you with a selection of real plants and flowers that you will learn how to take inspiration from in the form of 'nature play' to create your own embroidery design. I will then teach you how to transfer your design onto fabric and how to use simple stitches to embroider the design.
When: August the 6th 10am-4pm
Including lunch break as well as tea during the day
Where: 6 Miners Court Mudgeeraba
Take home embroidery materials kit included
Max 8 participants
What to expect:
- Learn 7 basic embroidery stitches
- Learn how to use embroidery tools and materials
- Learn how to transfer your design onto your fabric
- Learn how to take inspiration from a selection of flora/fauna to draw your own design for embroidery
- A supportive learning environment
- A selection of thread colours to use during the workshop
- Receive a take home embroidery kit to continue your practice
- Receive a hand written stitch guide to take home as well as a link to my youtube stitch tutorials to refer to forever
- Lean how to use embroidery tools
- Learn 7 basic embroidery stitches; french knot, stem stitch, satin stitch, leaf stitch, split stitch, back stitch, whipped back stitch.
- Tea Break
- Nature play. Learn how to draw your own design inspired by live plants and flowers.
- Learn how to choose which stitches to use for the design
- Learn how to transfer your design onto fabric
- Lunch break
- Embroider your design with guidance
- How to work on future projects
What to bring?
You can bring an item of clothing (linen, cotton and denim are best)
that you wish to embroider on in the future to check if it is possible to work on them. If you like you can embroider your design straight onto your clothing in the workshop.
Bring a drink bottle.
*Available for NDIS plan managed and self managed participants
Beginners Embroidery Workshop$240.00+$6.00 service fee